Sunday 13 January 2013

Still here

Last week wasn't all doom and gloom. Quite the opposite in fact, which is part of the reason I was so frustrated on Thursday - I felt pretty well last week. Even my text-hugging friend commented on how well I looked when I texted her to express my disappointment/swear extensively about the no go on Thursday.

So well, in fact, that I had a day trip to the office. The main purpose was to say goodbye to a colleague who is heading back to Australia after a long stay in the UK; I can't make her drinks so was  intending to have lunch with her. The secondary purpose was to say hello to the rest of the gang and also to my new boss.

I got there at around 10 o'clock and eventually had to leave at 1 o'clock without saying hello to everyone I wanted to see, because there were so many people to chat to, so much to catch up on. It was a good boost for me that a) the place is still there, b) people still remember who I am and c) they genuinely seemed to miss me! I also got to meet the new boss (poor chap, it was only Day 2 for him, I think I was the latest in a long line of shocks!) who took one look at me and my portacath (which is pretty obvious as it is right by my collar bone) and said, "I've had one of those". So in addition to him seeming to be a nice person, it sounds like he has a bit of insight into cancer, or at the very least a long term medicated condition - that should help.

On the way back I stop by to see my text-hugging friend, who is now back at work part-time and staying that way. She is looking well, but clearly still feeling the side effects of the chemo more than six months after it finished - apparently she was nearly dozing off at her desk. Then I found out she was trying to read contracts. That induces somnia in the hardiest so maybe there's hope.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    cameronvsj(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete