Wednesday 6 February 2013

Side Effects: Part 2

My earlier post on side effects seems a bit dated now, so here is the revised version. In no particular order:

1) Sore feet, and sometimes hands. This is apparently due to the toxins working their way out and can range from the mildly annoying to the outright painful, especially if I walk a lot. Creams help, as the skin gets very cracked - I'm told that udder cream is really good if the problem is acute.

2) Sore mouth and throat. My gums have receded and the inside of my lips feels raw, like they've been sandpapered. Very occasionally swallowing requires a bit of thought, or I feel like I've a cold coming. Lots of fluids and lip balm work best.

3) Thin skin. In the second half of the cycle my skin definitely seems thinner and I get a good outbreak of whitehead spots on my forehead. Fortunately the new hair cut covers them because picking them is a no-no - it makes them last for weeks and the reduced platelets mean bleeding is not allowed.

4) Peripheral neuropathy. Now omnipresent and hard to predict, rather than acute as it was before. So no more cat's bum faces when cleaning my teeth, but my eyes will tic shut in the cold at any time during a cycle.

5) Tiredness. Not exhaustion, but a constant background lack of energy.

6) Brain fade. I still can't think my way out of a paper bag.

Less like pregnancy, now. More like chemo.

No comments:

Post a Comment