Tuesday 30 October 2012

Reflexology

I had already booked the reflexologist for Friday afternoon, in the hope of helping my system cope with the immediate aftermath of cycle 2. Given the low neutrophil count, I reckon my system could still do with a boost and mentally I certainly could, so I go anyway.

The reflexologist is actually an old family friend who happens to live not far away. My parents act as the taxi as although I can drive myself the appointment had been arranged on the basis that I wouldn't be able to, and I reckoned Mum and Dad would like the chance of a catch up with her husband whilst she works her magic.

I have pretty clear lines when it comes to alternative medicine. Some is proven to work, or at least has some basis in reality and no negative side effects. Into this category fall acupuncture and reflexology, both of which I've had and both of which have worked for me before. Some therapies are just too "out there" for me and make no logical sense, such as reiki and crystal therapy. They work for some people, but they're a leap too far for me. Normally I'd go for acupuncture but frankly I've had enough of needles and all the practitioners I know are in London. I had reflexology when I was pregnant with DD, who was overdue and making me grumpy, and the reflexologist (same lady) pressed on a particular area of my foot, pointed out the swelling there and stated that that area was connected to my uterus. I was sceptical, until after DD was born when that swelling, which was very localised so not swollen pregnant lady ankles, disappeared. Proof enough for me, and anyway I like a nice foot massage.

She is gentle and soothing, yet still manages to tick me off for not resting enough! For 45 minutes she  works on my feet, declaring that most of my organs seem to be ok and taking the time to give my kidneys and spleen a boost. She also picks up on issues with my sciatic nerve, which relate to poor posture when carrying my giant son (that classic sticking out of the hip to rest your baby on it is not, surprise surprise, any good for your back) that then causes problems in my calf when I run. I hadn't mentioned that to her at all, nor the upper back and neck tension I've been experiencing because of poor posture post-surgery owing to compromised core muscles and an old rugby injury that she also picks up on.

Interestingly she tells me to check the ingredients of the fruit tea I've been drinking as an alternative to regular tea, as I thought the fruit tea would be more hydrating. Apparently lots of them contain hibiscus, which can cause stomach cramps. When I get home and check, she's right. All of them do. More water, less tea then. Her other nutritional advice is lots of anti-oxidants.

When she has finished I feel much better mentally, and generally boosted. Even if nothing else happens, the mental boost is worth it. I hadn't realised quite how down I'd become until it lifted a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment